July 16, 2007

Ian Roberts


Ive heard of Ian Roberts before, I was never really interested in learning more . As I saw him on the sex issue of "The Advocate" this Australian rugby player caught my eye. He accomplished a lot in the world of rugby as being named one of the toughest to grace The Rugby League State of Orgin and to be an open gay man. He proved to the world that gays can kick ass in sports.


"I enjoyed the actual moment. It was empowering to be out. All the confusion that had been part of my life suddenly vanished. When the whole world knew I was gay, I wasn't angry anymore. It's a whole clash about what it means to be a man, about masculinity. People would say, 'You must be the exception to the rule [of what gay men are like]. You don't swish around, you're not a cross-dresser.'"






















No comments: